I write science and environmental journalism and nature essays. Some of my most recent pieces found online are linked to on my blog. A number of example pieces are below.
- Even Here – natural, human, and personal landscapes of the Amazon
- Alaska, Massachusetts – winter in the state’s rural west
- Collecting Time – birdwatching with a nature journal
An interview for the radio program Writer’s Voice, and a reading of an essay, are here (starting 32 minutes in).
Sample articles available online include:
- Umass patch would spot stressed-out soldiers (Boston Globe)
- Scientists get ship backed by Google executive (Boston Globe)
- MIT nanotech research targets bone-repair surgery (Boston Globe)
- Big-data crunching hits the fast lane in Holyoke (Boston Globe)
- Without a map (Boston Globe) (pdf)
- Study links increase in wildfires to global warming (Boston Globe)
- The wind and the fury (Science News)
- Go Robot – New humanoids march forth (Science News)
- Soft drinks as top calorie culprit (Science News Online)
- Wood burning plants gain power (Boston Globe)
- In pixels and in health (Science News)
I teach science writing at Smith College’s Jacobson Writing Center and as a lecturer in the English department.
In addition, during the summer, I teach teaching nature writing and science journalism in the Smith Summer Science and Engineering Program for high school girls.